**FREE Shipping on orders $75 or more.
Herbal Cough Remedy
Use this herbal mixture to make your own tincture or syrup or simply use it to brew an herbal tea. When the first signs of chest congestion show up and there's that tickle in the throat, it's the perfect time to start using this herbal remedy. The herbs in this mixture are soothing to the throat and also act as expectorants.
- licorice root
- elecampane root
Use your package of herbs to mix with glycerin or vodka for a tincture or honey for a syrup. If you don't have those liquids on hand, make a decoction with only water and drink as a tea (option 4)
- 2/3 cup vegetable glycerin + 2/3 cup water, or
- 1 1/4 cup of raw honey, or
- 2/3 cup 100 proof vodka + 2/3 cup water (not ideal for children), or
- 1 1/4 cup warm (not hot!) apple cider vinegar, or
- Water. Pour herbs into a saucepan, cover with cold filtered water. Simmer for 20 minutes, covered. Drink as a tea.
* options 1 & 2 are the most palatable and preferred choice for children's remedies.
If making tea: adult dosage 1/2 cup served throughout the day up to 4x
ages 2-4 1 tsp., ages 4-7 2 tsp., 7-11 1 tbsp.
Tinctures/Syrup: adult dosage 1 tsp. up to 3x per day
ages 1-2 7 drops, ages 2-3 10 drops, ages 3-4 12 drops, ages 4-6 15 drops, ages 6-9 24 drops, ages 9-12 10 drops.
Note: Licorice root is not recommended while pregnant or nursing. This is a short-term remedy and should not be used for longer then 2 weeks.